Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This post is brought to you by the Kennedy Library and a break from studying

At the moment, I am not working on a paper about the bacteria sample I've been identifying for the past several weeks in my microbio lab--the very reason I am at the library. I'm here spending quality time with Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, something that I think I can only do here in the reference section.
(Trapped!)

But I think I've identified my species (Mycobacterium phlei) and now I just have to research it. As I've gotten past the learning curve of this lab, it's definitely gotten more interesting. Last week we analyzed soil samples, and soon we're gonna do throat swabs.







Um. My other classes seem to be going ok. My POLS class is definitely getting more interesting because we're getting more to the stuff I care about. Stephanie has gotten to hear several rants about this class in the past few weeks. We recently read an article where an interviewed farmer said that he wouldn't eat the potatoes he grows commercially after seeing all the chemicals that are sprayed on them. He has a separate plot where he grows potatoes for him and his family! Also--more than half the food produced in the world is thrown away! This TED talk by Tristram Stuart is quite revealing and kind of outrageous. It was so intriguing I forgot that he had an English accent! ; )  History is fine. Ochem is fine. (It's week 8. That means this week, then two more weeks and then finals. And I'm trying not to think farther than that)

I interviewed for a job today for after/before school programs here in SLO. I'm still babysitting and cleaning house. . .and God has given me peace about not having a regular job right now. I mean, I'd still like to have a job with regular hours that's not necessarily on a week to week basis, but I'm not worried about it.

I mean, life is just normal. Work, studying, procrastinating, staying up late, making popcorn, enjoying the February sun.

My family came down to visit me for my mom's birthday. Which was nice. And relaxing. And we didn't do much in particular. Just spent time together. Which is probably why it was so nice.

And. . .I learned how to play Settlers of Catan.

And we have a new flatmate named Henry. He is a stuffed whale. And he is adorable. 

Well. I'm still alive and thriving even. But I'm going back to read about M. phlei.

2 comments:

  1. What does Mycobacterium have to do with fungus? Which phylum is it? Did you have to use Gram stains? Can I read your textbook when you come tomorrow? I miss reading about bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I was like O.o Then I saw it was Bennett and I was no longer surprised.

      Delete