Life
in Valladolid is going along pretty smoothly. It has been raining here. Well.
It rained on Wednesday and Thursday. So I bought an umbrella at the “Todo a Dos
Euros” store. It’s plaid, and obviously very cheap, but it serves its purpose.
Anyway. . .I didn’t get back until after 3,
so. . .I was tired today and probably didn’t enjoy Burgos as much as I would
have had I had a full nights sleep. However. Burgos was still pretty and it
didn’t pour and make it miserable like the forecast said!
Burgos
is the town our professor Dr. Hiltpold calls home. I finally got a clear
picture of him so you can see what he looks like.
| Also, he's very tall. 6'4" |
Anyway. Burgos is very picturesque as you
can see here:

![]() |
| They apparently tie the branches of these trees together and then they grow together. |
| Plaza Mayor |
![]() |
| A picturesque street |
And it
was also the home of El Cid, mercenary and legendary war hero of Spain.
|
|
You
can’t see it very well here, but his beard is very flowing. Amy and I agreed
that it was like Davey Jones' beard in the second Pirates of the Caribbean
movie, but with hair instead of tentacles
|
And this is my face in reaction to having
“Call Me Maybe” stuck in my head. Grrrr. I am surprised to find out people
actually like the song. Yes. It is catchy. But it’s so. Stupid.
![]() |
|
If you are one of the people who enjoys the
song, you have my complete respect, but none of my sympathies.
|
La Catedral: the highlight of Burgos. And
like most of the sights I take pictures of, these don’t do it justice, It is
grand and beautiful. It’s a gothic cathedral so the original was built in the
shape of a cross, but so many chapels and other additions are now part of it,
that the cross shape is hidden. This is where we went first. And I think my
favorite thing about it overall was the ceilings. And I also tried to actually
take pictures of the people in the group so you can see who I’m talking about.
![]() |
| Ok, so this isn't pretty or grand or anything, but I thought it was an odd juxtaposition. |
| Left to right, starting with the guy in the dark blue sweatshirt: Andy, Chris, Daniella, and Dylan |
| The choir place. Beautiful wood. |

After the cathedral we hiked up a lot of stairs to see the castle, which was rather unimpressive, especially after the cathedral, so the highlight was really getting to eat our lunches that our mamás had packed for us. (Our mamá packs us good lunches. Usually a bocadillo or sandwich, and a juice box and fruit and a snacky thing. Today it was peanuts in the shell!)
![]() |
| Burgos is one of the few cities in Spain that still has all its medieval walls. I think. |
| View from the viewpoint |
| The view of the group from the viewpoint |
![]() |
| Creativity in eating lunch in the kind of rain. |
After the castle we had free time, with which Sam, Mary, Daniella and I got chocolate and churros and shopped.
Then we went to a monastery after lunch (home to an order of monks which don't talk most of the time), which I was super tired for. . .but the ceiling was pretty. And it smelled good.
And that's pretty much Burgos!










No comments:
Post a Comment